Wheaton Sprague is chartered as a professional engineering company providing design, engineering and consulting services for the Building Envelope and Curtain Wall Industries to clients throughout the United States and in some off-shore markets.
We have offices in Northeast Ohio, Southern Ohio, the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, the Raleigh, North Carolina region, and the Northeast US Territory.
We work to provide technical support services that will bring order and structure to client’s businesses and projects, providing real value for our client’s investment. At Wheaton Sprague this is branded Creating Structure®.
We employ design professionals, technicians, and firm leaders who have worked directly for and with some of the client types we serve and, because we work hard to understand our clients’ businesses, we believe it gives us a unique perspective and a deeper understanding of our client’s side of the business.
We provide technical services such as:
- technical consulting
- structural engineering
- thermal analysis and design
- structural blast analysis
- system design and systems engineering
- building envelope information modeling
- production shop drawings (delegated design drawings)
- fabrication drawings
- related services for all forms of exterior cladding systems that comprise the building envelope
We have two divisions that complement one another with expertise:
Building Envelope ENGINEERING Division: Full-service engineering for exterior cladding systems including curtain wall, panel, stone and architectural specialty components.
Building Envelope CONSULTING Division: Expert consulting for building envelope and cladding systems including schematic design, design development and construction documents, specification development, construction administration, testing and witnessing of testing in laboratory or field, forensic investigation of building envelope failures or defects, expert witness testimony, thermal design and analysis, observation, peer review, blast / impact assessment, remediation and assessment services and other related services.
Quality Assurance & Risk Management
Wheaton Sprague's Quality Assurance, Quality Control, ad operational standards support best practices for professional services firsm in our industry. Projects receive internal peer review and oversignt throughout the process, and prior to submission and delivery. If more than standard insurances are neede for a project, simply contact us.
Creating Structure® for our clients - through the art and science of design, consulting, structural engineering and investigation, facilitating the design, operation, repair, and construction of safe, serviceable structures.
Creating Structure® is about adding order and structure to our clients' projects and businesses through creative and practical problem-solving skills and a focus on maximizing the client’s success. We are Creating Structure® not only through consulting and engineering but also through our approach to communication, quality control, and client satisfaction.
We work to create the best solutions for the project via technical ingenuity, experience and expertise, a responsive client approach, and a continual pursuit of excellence in all that we do.
Our goal is that the quality of your experience working with us on the project will be as memorable and remarkable as the quality of the work product you receive from us. See what our clients say.
How can we begin Creating Structure® for you?
- Formed in 1994 by John Wheaton, P.E., LEED AP, and designer Richard Sprague, we are a professional services company with a staff of designers, consultants, engineers, and LEED AP’s, with technical focus on building facades, building envelopes, and custom and standard curtain wall systems.
- Steady and strategic growth ensued throughout the years as Wheaton Sprague’s reputation and staff grew to accommodate larger projects.
- In 2008, in response to increased client demand for expert knowledge of building envelope systems and the desire to be a complete building envelope specialty company, we formed a Building Envelope Consulting Division. Mark Coulis, a highly qualified senior design consultant with a distinguished career in the building envelope consulting field, was appointed our initial consultant. The Consulting Division advises architects, owners, and related clients on all matters related to curtain wall and other exterior cladding systems and system design, solving complicated design problems and providing workable solutions.
- In 2010, we added a Minnesota branch which was expanded and moved to a more accommodating space in the Fall of 2012. Also in 2012, an office was created in North Carolina. Led by long-term employee and North Carolina PE, Craig Mertz, this office was expanded and moved in the summer of 2013 to a larger space in Cary.
- The addition of Michael K. Smith, RA, RRC, RCI as Senior Design Consultant to the Consulting Division, afforded us with the opportunity to expand yet again to an office in Cincinnati, Ohio in early 2015.
- Our headquarters in Stow, Ohio was bursting at the seams by 2016. The headquarters was relocated to a significantly larger space nearby.
- In 2017, we expanded our Consulting Division yet again, adding personnel to the office in both Stow and Cincinnati, and we opened an office in the Northeast Territory of the U.S.
- 2018 finds us recruiting for key positions within the organization, focused on operational excellence, and continued improvements in all offices. These positions are critical for strategic growth operatives for our company and our people.
- With a staff of designers, consultants, engineers, and LEED AP’s, that exceeds 40 technical professionals, the company is poised for continued growth and expertise, servicing projects and clients throughout the U.S. and around the globe.
John L. Wheaton
CEO and President
WHEATON SPRAGUE BUILDING ENVELOPE
Wheaton Sprague Building Envelope's President is John Wheaton. He is an award-winning CEO and a passionate advocate for the advancement of the building envelope and curtain wall industry. Check out John's blog where he writes on his experience of 24 years as an owner, his viewpoint on the Architecture/Engineering/Construction industry as a whole, and his philosophies of life and business.
Vice President Operations and DDM
WHEATON SPRAGUE BUILDING ENVELOPE
Richard Sprague is an architectural curtain wall designer/detailers who has devoted his career to the design aspects of the building industry, serving both architectural and building envelope firms. He serves as Vice President of Operations and of the Design, Drafting and Modeling Department at Wheaton Sprague, which he co-founded with John Wheaton in 1994.
American Institute of Steel Construction
AISC is a not-for-profit technical institute and trade association established to serve the structural steel design community and construction industry in the U.S. AISC’s mission is to make structural steel the material of choice by being the leader in structural-steel-related technical and market-building activities, including specification and code development, research, education, technical assistance, quality certification, standardization, and market development.
American Society of Civil Engineers
Today's civil engineers use every advantage to meet the demands of their profession. That's why ASCE pioneers new programs, policies, educational activities, and professional resources to help them successfully compete in their business.
National Glass Association
Founded in 1948, the National Glass Association is the largest and most influential trade association serving the architectural glass, and window and door industries. The NGA represents nearly 2,200 member companies, produces the industry's leading events and publications, and provides cutting-edge education and training programs. The NGA's annual events—including GlassBuild America and the Glazing Executives Forum—serve as a centralized meeting place for thousands of professionals.
United States Green Building Council
The U.S. Green Building Council, co-founded by Rick Fedrizzi, Mike Italiano, and David Gottfried in 1993, is a private 5013, membership-based non-profit organization that promotes sustainability in buildings design, construction, and operation.