Okay. So there's a project you want to pursue, but "OH NO!", it has a BIM requirement! You need to find a supplier who can get you what you need. However, you aren't completely clear as to what you need.
These questions - for the client and for the supplier - should help to get you a more accurate model at a more accurate price. There are lots of 'sub questions' after these questions, so feel free to contact me if you want the complete picture.
Jon McFarland, BIM Coordinator
- In which version of Revit (or other program) is the project to be completed"
- Is an existing Revit (or other program) model available for the project"
- Are CAD drawings available upon which to base the Revit families"
- How often are the client's models/drawings expected to be updated - including Structural and MEP if applicable"
Scope of work
- Is the work for a mockup only"
- Is this model to be based on an existing manufacturer's system"
- Is the curtain wall project to be a parametric curtain wall system or a parametric unitized system" (Parametric CW systems have accurate profiles and glass locations, but not the proper connections or level of detail. A parametric unitized system contains parametric extrusions for the individual parts with each unit also being parametric.)
- What specifically needs to be modeled"
- Do notched parts need to be notched or can they "pass through" one another" (Notching will increase the time needed and the number of families with little visual benefit. Not notching will cause a clash internal to the unit.)
- Is clash detection required" Do clashes within the units need to be resolved" If there is a clash between your provider's elements and another trade's, who is in charge or resolving them"
- Do unitized components need to be scheduled" Units types and sizes only" Extrusions and glass" Clips, fasteners, gaskets, etc"
- Are plans, elevations, sections, and details included in the scope"
- Are fins, louvers, rain screens, vents, window washer buttons, handrails, guardrails, soffits, feature elements, coping, break metal elements, column surrounds, or any other feature included in the scope" Are voids in soffits, or other elements, to be modeled"
- Are doors and windows, located within the curtain wall, included in the scope or are they left as voids. If included, what elements are to be modeled (push bars, kick plates, etc.)"
For more information regarding BIM Requirements, contact us.